Monday, October 12, 2009

Relaunch: Failure

Failure. Now there’s a word that’s a slam to the gut. No matter what the circumstances are, failure claws at your self-esteem, and it hurts. It’s about feeling less-than. It’s about having your sense of worth compromised in a huge way. And it’s also about worrying that you’ve dropped down a peg or two in the eyes of the people who believe in you, no matter how sympathetic they are.

Failure is not something I’ve had a lot of experience with, and for that, I’m incredibly grateful. When I worked fulltime in radio, I felt valued and respected and wanted for the job I did and the person I was. When the babies were born and I had to cut back my hours, it was made known to me that I had a fulltime job waiting for me whenever I wanted to come back, and they wished it would be soon. That was the opposite of failure. And it felt good.

But that was also twenty-three years ago. About a year ago, when I decided I wanted to make the leap from free-spirited freelancer to fulltime employee (with benefits and everything) for the first time in nearly a quarter-century, those jobs were obviously not still waiting for me.

So I found something completely different. Just about ten months ago, I hooked up with a medical company in the corporate sector. The job involved voice-over work and writing, so at first glance, it seemed like the perfect fit. I figured I could handle the hour commute each way, and actually looked forward to the structure of a nine-to-five life. They hired me as a contract worker for a three-month trial period to start, making more money than I’d ever seen before in any job, ever. It was an exciting time.

Well, for a little while. It didn't take long to realize this company was a horrible fit for me. I was not cut out for the mind-numbing hours, the negative management style, the technological challenges, the nearly non-existent training, and the fact that I ended up not doing what I was hired for. It almost seemed I was being primed to fail. To sum up, I lasted only two months. I wish I could say I got fed up and stormed out of that dysfunctional situation with my head high and my pride intact, but that’s not what happened. Even though I was miserable and cried almost every night on my way home from work, I was too damn stubborn to give up. I ended up getting blind-sided in the HR office, my supervisor too much of a coward even to be present, and was told—very kindly and sympathetically, I might add—that I was no longer an employee. And so I went to my desk, gathered my things, said goodbye to my co-workers and tried not to blubber. In short, it was humiliating.

A friend told me recently that failure is simply the manifestation of being in the wrong place, and that makes perfect sense to me. I did not belong in that company. But the fact remains that I worked hard, and couldn’t make it work. I failed. I was a failure.

But if failure is being in the wrong place, then success is being in the right place, and I’m hot on its trail. Most days, I’m happy to report that I set out with optimism, reminding myself of all the skills I possess, all the possibilities I know in front of me. And most days I can quiet the new, mean voice in the back of my head that whispers, and you might fail at this, too.

Most days.

-Callie

1 comment:

  1. Don't beat yourself up. Success is often a two-way street, but failure seems to roll downhill (along with other, undesireable things). I think, though, that even worse than failure for one such as yourself would be the dispiriting feeling of not trying. Because that mean voice is quieted even more each time you succeed (and the voice therefore fails at driving you to failure).

    ReplyDelete