Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Launch: What Do You Do with a B.A. in English?

So it's about time for me to find a new job. A real job. With a salary. Hopefully a career. The trouble is that I have no idea where to begin. A lot of my classmates in college seemed to know exactly where they wanted to go with their lives, they had their career path picked out, and were applying to grad schools while I was realizing that I needed an extra semester to finish up my bachelor's degree. I'm about a year out of college now, and I still have absolutely no idea what I want to do with my life. It's extremely difficult to make a living doing the things I'm most passionate about, namely music-especially singing- and writing. But I need to find something that I can be happy doing, because this hourly wage business is just not enough. I love my job, but I'm barely keeping myself afloat.

The song "What Do You Do With A B.A. In English" from the musical Avenue Q pretty much sums up my feelings on the whole subject. I've been searching for jobs on all those job searching websites, from monster.com to Yahoo! Jobs, to the new marketplace feature on Facebook. It's difficult to put in what I want and get something back that fits my needs. I entered that I need something at an entry-level position, because as the song says, "I have no skills yet", and although I've specified that I don't have any experience in...pretty much anything, nearly all the job postings that come up in my searches require at least three years of experience in the field. I still have a few months before I absolutely NEED a real job, my lease is up in September, but there is a time limit on it, and as it is I'm living paycheck to paycheck. I'd like to be able to buy new clothes or go out to eat with my friends without worrying that I won't have enough money to pay next month's rent. I was thinking that I'd try to make this entry inspiring and...helpful or something, but the truth is that this is supposed to be a chronicle of my journey into adulthood or whatever, and right now I'm struggling a little. I have the utmost confidence that I'll figure it out, but I haven't, yet. Stay tuned.

~Fae

No comments:

Post a Comment