Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Launch: Are We There Yet?

So the point of this blog is supposed to be to chronicle my mom's and my launch into...well. For me I suppose it's a launch into adulthood, and for her it's a launch into some kind of newfound independence. But how do we know when we've gotten there? What has to happen before I can say "Okay, I did it"? I don't think there's going to be a moment where it just happens, but I think setting some goals...some achievable goals, is a good start.

To me being launched is going to involve being completely financially independent of my parents. Which I am not right now. I'm paying my own rent, buying my own groceries, and covering the cable and electric bills, but my parents are still generously covering my car insurance, my cellphone bill, and various other expenses that I can't quite cover on my own yet. So I guess that I'll consider myself officially launched when I'm able to pay for all that stuff on my own. The biggest goal, then, is to get a job that pays enough to cover all that stuff. I love my job at the bookstore, but that clearly isn't going to cut it forever. In fact I'm a little bit worried about my expenses for this month.

But there are other goals that I'd like to accomplish on the way. Smaller, less important things that don't really have a tangible reward at the end. For example, I'd like to get in shape and lose a little more weight. Over the last few years I've lost about 40lbs, but I have a little way to go before I'll really be comfortable in my own skin. Of course, that kind of a struggle is one of those things that I'll be worried about for the rest of my life, so I don't really want to hinge my launch on a goal like that. But I still want to set the goal so that I'm not putting it off until who knows when.

Other goals include getting involved in some kind of musical group (unfortunately, I didn't end up getting into that group I auditioned for a few weeks ago), creating a social network so that I don't spend as much time lying around at home like a lump (I'm working on this!), and getting out and finding myself a nice boy (I've never been in a serious relationship, although I've been trying to get out and date a little bit recently).

So clearly I've got a long way to go before I've officially launched, and even further before I have the kind of life that I want, but I think that just setting the goals and being where I am is a great starting point. I've moved out of my parents' house, I'm at least surviving so far (although again, my parents are still helping a lot), and I know what I want, even if I've been terrible about actually getting off my butt and getting things accomplished. It's pretty daunting to look at all the things I want to get done and how much work it's going to take to get them, but the last few years have been pretty tough, and I've discovered that I can handle a lot.

My biggest obstacle at this point is finding the motivation to get it all done. But once I figure that out, it'll be smooth sailing.

I hope.

~Fae

No comments:

Post a Comment